Vasse Felix Tom Cullity Cabernet Sauvignon Malbec 2014


Margaret River - Australia

750ml / 14.5% ABV

Blend: 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Malbec, 4% Petit Verdot

Vasse Felix, Margaret River's founding wine estate, was established by Dr Thomas Brendan Cullity in 1967. Among his first plantings were Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec vines, from which he produced the estate’s first red wine. The Tom Cullity descends from these original vines and represents the pinnacle of Vasse Felix.

Colour: Light maroon with a purple tinge.

Nose: A very pointed and pristine perfume with immense complexity. Lively fruit from this vintage is preserved precisely. The oak and savory complexity are intricately interwoven yet the immense power of the fruit, while delicate, is brimming with character. Notes of red currant, cranberry jam, and raspberry pips give way to agar, gravel, a hint of peppermint tree, mushroom and bark.

Palate: The palate is vibrant with mouth-watering cranberry freshness and while light, it is juicy, precise and balanced with remarkable fine-grained tannins. Long cassis and cherry pip flavoured tannins create a dry and fine finish. A significant Cabernet of uniquely delicate proportions.

"Slightly lower yields in our old Malbec blocks, combined with an incredibly precise Cabernet vintage has seen the portion of Malbec reduced slightly this year. All blocks were destemmed only, without crushing and then allowed to ferment naturally. The Petit Verdot, a small section of Malbec and a small portion of Cabernet (making up 24%) were open fermented, hand plunged and pressed dry. The remaining 76% of the Cabernet and Malbec was static-fermented, gently pumped over through a splash tub and then left on skins for up to 34 days; allowing the wine to stabilise and become structurally sound in such a brilliant year for tannin ripeness. The small sections were basket pressed to fine French oak and matured for 18 months with minimal racking."
Rich pastas, beef, stews and a hearty roast!


Collections: Our Best Sellers, Red Wine



Related Items